Tomatoes which are classified as vegetables and fruits are one of the most important fruits or veggies on this earth that are crucial and good for human development. In most African countries, the uses of tomatoes have been reduced to cooking only. Most people uses tomatoes for making soup and also in other food preparations, but the therapeutics effect is attributed to eating tomatoes raw. When tomatoes are cooked they loose their potency and all the vital constituents are lost during cooking, thereby reducing it's therapeutic effectiveness.
Tomatoes which is originated from South America and Central America has long been in existence since 16th century and since then have been used to treat different kinds of ailments and diseases. The different types of tomatoes are; the cherry tomatoes, better roy, san marzano tomato, cherokee purple, kumato, black krim, roma tomato, early girl, mortgage lifter, green zebra, raf tomato, celebrity tomato, brandy wine, campari tomato, big beef, tigrella, gardener's delight, big rainbow, super sweet, hillbilly tomato, santorini tomato, mr stripey, japanese black trifele, jubilee tomato, money maker.
Tomatoes which exist has fruits and vegetables have many therapeutics and medicinal uses which are useful in the treatment and management of different medical conditions:-
- Anti-Oxidants:- Oxidation is a chemical reaction that can produce free radicals or harmful substances that can damage the cells of organisms. Tomatoes which contain lycopene act as an antioxidants which mop up the free radicals and also help to prevent or slow the damage to cells caused by the free radicals.
- Anti-inflammatory:- Inflammation is a condition in which a part of the body becomes red, swollen and painful. Tomatoes contain Naringenin which is an active anti-inflammatory substance that helps reduce inflammation.
- Anti-Cancer:- Cancer is a serious disease caused by cells that are not normal and that can spread to one or many parts of the body. Tomatoes help naturally to boost the immune system and prevent the growth of the cancer cells.
- Anti-Diabetes:- Diabetes are a group of diseases that result in too much sugar in the blood (high blood glucose). Tomatoes help by reducing the sugar levels in the blood.
- Skin Enhancement:- Tomatoes provide structural support in connective tissue. It helps to revitalize saggy skin, strengthen weak nails and add shine to dull hair.
- Growth:- Tomatoes contain Folate which is responsible for cell functions, body development and the normal growth of the foetus.
- Bone Development and Blood Clotting:- Tomatoes contain vitamin K which helps to promote strong bones, bone development and also help in formation of new blood cells and blood clotting.
- Heart Problems:- There are different heart related conditions such as asthma, cardiac arrest, irregular heartbeat etc. Tomatoes contain potassium which helps to control blood pressure and regulate heart beat.
- Weight Loss :- Excessive weight gain and body fats is detrimental to health. These can lead to other health problems such as stroke, heart failure, diabetes etc. Tomatoes promote weight loss and reduce fats in the body.
As it is said that too much of everything is bad. Tomatoes should be eaten raw to get it's full therapeutics effects but should be eaten in the right quantity such as 3 per day is substantial for that day. Tomatoes contain solanine ( a bitter alkaloids), so excessive intake of tomatoes can lead to high concentration of solanine in the body which is harmful. Those that have taken excess tomatoes have complained about diarrhea, body aches and kidney disorder.